The special provision relating to hazardous employment under the factories act 1948: Chapter: 4-A consisting. Section 41 A to 41 H of the factories act 1948 provides the provisions relating to the hazardous employment. These provisions are the following:
Section 41A Under Hazardous Employment: Constitution of Site Appraisal Committees:
- The authorities could, for functions of advising it to contemplate applications for grant of permission for the initial location of a manufacturing plant involving a venturesome method or for the growth of any such manufacturing plant, appoint a website Appraisal Committee consisting of:
- The Chief Inspector of the State United Nations agency shall be its Chairman.
- A representative of the Central Board for the interference and management of pollution appointed by the Central Government underneath section three of the Water (Prevention and management of Pollution) Act, 1974 (6 of 1974).
- A representative of the Central Board for the interference and management of pollution cited in section three of the Air (Prevention and management of Pollution) Act, 1981 (14 of 1981).
- A representative of the State Board appointed underneath section four of the Water (Prevention and management of Pollution) Act, 1974 (6 of 1974);
- A representative of the State Board for the interference and management of pollution cited in section five of the Air (Prevention and management of Pollution) Act, 1981 (14 of 1981).
- A representative of the Department of surroundings within the State.
- A representative of the meteorologic Department of the govt. of India.
- A skilled within the field of activity health.
- A representative of the Planning Department of the authorities, and no more than 5 alternative members United Nations agency could also be co-opted by the authorities United Nations agency shall be-
- The sole having specialized data of the venturesome method which is able to be concerned within the manufacturing plant,
- A representative of the authority inside whose jurisdiction the manufacturing plant is to be established
- No more than 3 alternative persons as deemed work by the authorities.
- The location Appraisal Committee shall examine AN application for the institution of a manufacturing plant involving venturesome method and build its recommendation to the authorities inside an amount of ninety days of the receipt of such application within the prescribed type.
- Wherever any method relates to a manufacturing plant owned or controlled by the Central Government or to an organization or company-owned or controlled by the Central Government, the State Government shall co-opt within the website Appraisal Committee a representative appointed by the Central Government as a member of that Committee.
- The location Appraisal Committee shall have the power to incorporate any data from the person creating an application for the institution or growth of a manufacturing plant involving a venturesome method.
- Wherever the authorities have granted approval to AN application for the institution or growth of a manufacturing plant involving a venturesome method, it shall not be necessary for an applicant to get an extra approval from the Central Board or the State Board established underneath the Water (Prevention and management of Pollution) Act, 1974 (6 of 1974) and therefore the Air (Prevention and management of Pollution) Act, 1981 (14 of 1981).
Section 41B Under Hazardous Employment: Compulsory disclosure of information by the occupier:
- The occupier of each manufacturing plant involving a venturesome method shall disclose within the manner prescribed all data relating to dangers, together with health hazards and therefore the measures to beat such hazards arising from the exposure to or handling of the materials or substances within the manufacture, transportation, storage and alternative processes, to the staff used within the manufacturing plant, the Chief Inspector, the authority inside whose jurisdiction the manufacturing plant is situated and therefore the general public within the neighborhood.
- The occupier shall, at the time of registering the factory involving a hazardous process, lay down a detailed policy with respect to the health and safety of the workers employed therein and intimate such policy to the Chief Inspector and the local authority and, thereafter, at such intervals as may be prescribed, inform the Chief Inspector and the local authority of any amendment created within the aforementioned policy.
- The information furnished under sub-section (1) shall include accurate information as to the quantity, specifications and other characteristics of wastes and the manner of their disposal.
- Each occupier shall, with the approval of the Chief Inspector, draw up an on-site emergency plan and detailed disaster control measures for his factory and make known to the workers employed therein and to the general public living in the vicinity of the factory the safety measures required to be taken in the event of an accident taking place.
- Every occupier of a factory shall:
- If such manufacturing plant engaged in a very venturesome method on the commencement of the Factories (Amendment) Act, 1987, inside an amount of thirty days of such commencement; and
- If such manufacturing plant proposes to have interaction in a very venturesome method at any time once such commencement, inside an amount of thirty days before the commencement of such method, informs the Chief Inspector of the character and details of the method in such type and in such manner as could also be prescribed.
- Wherever any occupier of a manufacturing plant contravenes the provisions of sub-section (5), the license issued under section 6 to such factory shall, notwithstanding any penalty to which the occupier of the manufacturing plant shall be subjected to underneath the provisions of this Act, be liable for cancellation.
- The occupier of a manufacturing plant involving a venturesome method shall, with the previous approval of the Chief Inspector, lay down measures for the handling, usage, transportation and storage of hazardous substances within the manufacturing plant premises and therefore the disposal of such substances outside the manufacturing plant premises and publicize them within the manner prescribed among the staff and therefore the general public living in the vicinity.
Section 41C Under Hazardous Employment: Specific responsibility of the occupier in reference to venturesome processes
- Every occupier of a manufacturing plant involving any venturesome method shall:
- Maintain correct and up-to-date health records or, because the case could also be, medical records of the staff within the manufacturing plant United Nations agency area unit exposed to any chemical, unhealthful or any other harmful substances which are manufactured, stored, handled or transported and such records shall be accessible to the staff subject to such conditions as could also be prescribed.
- Appoint persons WHO possess qualifications and skill in handling venturesome substances and are competent to supervise such handling at intervals the mill and to produce at the operating place all the necessary facilities for safeguarding the staff within the manner prescribed: PROVIDED that where any question arises as to the qualifications and experience of a person so appointed, the decision of the Chief Inspector shall be final.
- Provide for medical examination of every worker.
- Before such an employee is assigned to employment involving the handling of or operating with, a hazardous substance and whereas continued in such a job, and when he has ceased to figure in such a job, at intervals not exceeding twelve months, in such manner as may be prescribed.
Section 41D Under Hazardous Employment: Power of Central Government to appoint Inquiry Committee
- The Central Government might, within the event of the incidence of a rare scenario involving a mill engaged in a very venturesome method, appoint an Inquiry Committee to inquire into the standards of health and safety determined within the mill with a read to sorting out the causes of any failure or neglect within the adoption of any measures or standards prescribed for the health and safety of the staff used within the mill or the overall public affected, or probably to be affected, due to such failure or neglect and for the bar and repetition of such extraordinary things in future in such mill or elsewhere.
- The Committee appointed under sub-section (1) shall consist of a Chairman and two other members and the terms of reference of the Committee and the tenure of office of its members shall be like could also be determined by the Central Government in keeping with the necessities of matters.
- The recommendations of the Committee shall be informatory in nature.
Section 41E Under Hazardous Employment: Emergency standards
- Wherever the Central Government is happy that no standards of safety are prescribed in respect of a venturesome method or category of venturesome processes, or where the standards so prescribed as inadequate, it should direct the Director-General of works recommendation Service and Labor Institute or any establishments specialized in matters about standards of safety in venturous processes, to lay down emergency standards for group action of applicable standards in respect of such venturesome processes.
- The emergency standards laid down under sub-section (1) shall, until they are incorporated in the rules made under this Act, be enforceable and have the same effect as if they had been incorporated within the rules created underneath this Act.
Section 41F Under Hazardous Employment: Permissible limits of exposure of chemical and cytotoxic substances
- The foremost permissible threshold limits of exposure of chemical and cytotoxic substances in manufacturing processes (whether venturesome or otherwise) in any mill shall be of the price indicated in the Second Schedule.
- The Central Government may, at any time, for the aim of giving results to any scientific proof obtained from specialized establishments or specialists within the field, by notification in the Official Gazette, build changes within the aforesaid Schedule.
Section 41G Under Hazardous Employment: Workers’ participation in safety management
- The occupier shall, in every mill where a venturesome technique takes place, or wherever venturesome substances square measure used or handled, originated a security Committee consisting of equal variety of representatives of employees and management to plug cooperation between the employees and conjointly the management in maintaining correct safety and health at work and to review periodically the measures taken in that behalf : Provided that the State Government may, by order in writing and for reasons to be recorded, exempt the occupier of any factory or class of factories from setting up such Committee.
- The composition of the security Committee, the tenure of office of its members and their rights and duties shall be such as may be prescribed.
Section 41H Under Hazardous Employment: Right of workers to warn about an imminent danger
- Wherever the staff used in a very mill engaged in a venturesome method have affordable apprehension that there’s a probability of close danger to their lives or health due to an accident, they may bring the same to the notice of the occupier, agent, manager or any other person who is in charge of the factory or the process concerned directly or thorough their representatives in the Safety Committee and simultaneously being the same to the notice of the Inspector.
- It shall be the duty of such occupier, agent, manager or the person in charge of the mill or method to require immediate action if he’s happy regarding the existence of such shut danger and send a report directly of the action taken to the nearest Inspector.
- If the occupier, agent, manager or the person in charge referred to in sub-section (2) is not satisfied about the existence of any such imminent danger as apprehended by the workers, he shall, nonetheless, refer the matter at once to the closest Inspector whose call on the question of the existence of such close danger shall be final.